May 19, 2011

Domination

I had a conversation last week about how much 'better' people of color, or minorities are fighting against domination. People in this conversation were talking from their priviledge position, as many things and expressed how "good minorities are doing". I was angry. Yes, people are doing many things. But that doesnt mean there are all good benefits.  I, left that day wondered many things, and feeling alone. I have seen realities and experience first hand experiences with racism. And that is itself domination. There are someways to fight it, i agree..but we are not, all the way there. I guess this is my crude and realistic side who is talking. Is because I am still somewhat angry. But I have this space to my anger in words, to let it flow, and process with myself.   This theme provoked many reactions on me. These are some of things i need talk about. and think:

I don’t think we are able to fight domination better than the past. Furthermore, we are not ALL able to. I think that that has to do with a lot of people from the individualistic, and a little more privileged people than other. Reading this chapter and comments, could not help but thinking about other people that are still struggling on daily basis against other types of domination such us the consequences of the beginning dominations of colonization. For many of us, including myself, fighting domination seem better, little by little we have access to services, to help, to realization, to others. For other people, this fighting against domination has just changed its shape.

For some people the context hasn't change either. Is true that the practices have changed. And they are not so visible with some population, not so outright, but they hurt and they stay in for generations, just like the oppression against indigenous people, that in many countries continue being subjugated by the consequences of colonization.  Some people have access to education, services, and water. Other does not.


The people that dominate and oppressed them, does rotate though.
What I do think is helping, is working together through this fight. People that get together in non profits to ”fight” for these people rights, and to fight other people suffering from other oppression, are making the difference, but depends to me on the approach and on the real intentions they have towards helping communities. And most importantly, the people that are experiencing oppression getting together and fight in their own ways. The sense of community, makes me hopeful that we can somehow contribute in this type of “fights” towards differents types of domination.

No comments:

The lesser blessed

I have to tell you something, I said, I’m not going to lie, I have to tell you I have this god-shaped hole in my  heart, and I think you do ...